chicken + veggie rice bowl
Leftover chicken thighs in the fridge led me to cook up a quick rice bowl. This is pretty versatile and you can also decide if you want to use, or have, fresh veggies instead of frozen. I also want you to trust your own senses. Don’t worry about getting the measuring spoons out and add what you like. Once the chicken is cooked, taste it and see if you need to add more seasoning.
Also, I only had some quick cook jasmine rice in my pantry so no judgement here. This is all about getting a meal put together quickly. This makes 2 servings, but next day leftovers are the best!
What you’ll need:
- 2 chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup of frozen broccoli
- 1 cup of frozen cauliflower
- 1 thick slice of white onion, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- olive oil
- sesame oil
- soy sauce
- white rice vinegar
- ginger powder
- red pepper flakes
- lemon pepper
- juice from ½ a lemon
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- In a small skillet heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add diced white onion and cook until softened.
- Add minced garlic and cook a couple of minutes, stirring frequently. When you start to smell the garlic, it’s time to add the chicken.
- Season the chicken with ginger powder, red pepper flakes, lemon pepper and a few dashes of soy sauce + sesame oil.
- Cook the chicken, stirring frequently until cooked through.
- Add a few splashes of white rice vinegar (some water will also work but won’t be as flavorful – this step is to get all the goodies scraped up from the bottom of the pan) and cook over medium heat until the onions are nice and caramelized (this won’t take long).You can decide if you want to mix in the rice or just put everything into a bowl and enjoy! I squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice over everything and add more salt + pepper to taste.