small batch AZ lemon cookies
Lemons! One of the five C’s of Arizona, citrus can be found just about everywhere this time of year. Lucky for this girl, my aunt + uncle have a lemon tree in their yard so I have an abundant supply of one of my favorite kitchen staples.
This cookie recipe uses both the juice + zest from lemons and the result is a soft + almost cake-like sugar cookie. Tip: Using cold butter/margarine and the 4 minutes of creaming the butter + sugar is a must.
What you’ll need:
- ½ cup of cold butter or margarine, cut into cubes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½-2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1-1½ tablespoons of lemon zest
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- extra sugar for sprinklingPreheat your oven to 350°F.
Prepare a couple of baking sheets and line them with parchment paper.
In a medium sized bowl, with a mixer, cream together your cold, cubed butter/margarine and sugar for 4 minutes. Seriously, set a timer! This will ensure you get a very light and fluffy start to the dough.
Add in 1 egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice and lemon zest and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with your fluffy butter and sugar.
Drop the cookie dough by the spoonful onto your parchment lined baking sheet and bake 9-11 minutes.
Remove from the oven and sprinkle the tops of the cookies with sugar and let them cool completely. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)